Nov 18, 2012

Blogging and Yoga

I started this blog in August of this year as a place to organize my thoughts and various researches on yoga. But the combination of blogging and yoga is just not working for me. My yoga practice has always been a matter of going inward in order to go out. To be quiet in order to eventually speak more clearly, while blogging is very much about maintaining a more or less outward energy—at least that's how I relate to it. And keeping this blog seems to be effecting how I practice—for instance, I have started to catch myself thinking, in the middle of practice, whether or not a certain experience or insight might make a good blog post. I miss the clarity, the peace, and the essential wordlessness of how I have always related to yoga before, which is why I've decided to stop running this blog. For those of you who've been kind enough to subscribe to these posts—thank you! I'm still around, at my other (completely un-yogic!) blog Food Culture Index, and posting inspirations of a literary sort on my tumblr, Og-blay. And of course, you can find me on Twitter, too. But for now, here, I'm signing off.
Sat Nam.
Kim
practicing up-dog on a wooden walking bridge with my kids...

4 comments:

(0v0) said...

; )

Unknown said...

I've been meaning (clearly, for months now) to comment. I saw this back in November when you announced it, and at first I thought, "What a bummer. I thought she had intriguing insights." So, I will still register that I loved having your blog in the blogosphere, because I thought it offered some delightful observations and it was, in a word, refreshing. But the reason you're stopping it (for now?) is a very clear and directed one, so props to you for that! We don't exactly live in a culture that values or understands how to savor quietness and introspection, so props to you for contributing to that stream of energy. I'll catch you over on Tumblr, Twitter and your other blog. :-)

Rose said...

I've been meaning (clearly, for months now) to comment. I saw this back in November when you announced it, and at first I thought, "What a bummer. I thought she had intriguing insights." So, I will still register that I loved having your blog in the blogosphere, because I thought it offered some delightful observations and it was, in a word, refreshing. But the reason you're stopping it (for now?) is a very clear and directed one, so props to you for that! We don't exactly live in a culture that values or understands how to savor quietness and introspection, so props to you for contributing to that stream of energy. I'll catch you over on Tumblr, Twitter and your other blog. :-)

Kim A. said...

Thanks so much, Rose, for your comment.... I appreciate it. I often get too heady, and creating posts for this blog was upping my "1%" to 20% at least. For now, I'm happy to have my practice fully back to where I cherish it most, on my mat... But happy, too, that doing this blog led me to some amazing yoga sites, like yours, which I'll keep reading.
sat nam.